Psychology is an integral part of Traditional Tibetan Medicine.
In TTM, most psychological and psychiatric problems are seen to be due to a fundamental disturbance of rLung (Wind) energy, in particular, disturbance of sRog Zin rLung – the Life-sustaining Wind. Remedies for these conditions are based upon diet, medicines and external therapies which are designed to give a warming, nutritive and calming effect in order to balance the rLung energy.
Unlike Western medicine, where the body and mind are held to be separate entities, TTM regards body, speech (energy), and mind to be integrated. Therefore, for maximal effect, diet, lifestyle modifications, medications and external remedies are used in combination.
PSYCHOLOGY AND DREAMS in Traditional Tibetan Medicine
This five-day course is for people who are interested in psychology in Traditional Tibetan Medicine and dream studies. Topics covered include:
- The Basic theories underlying Traditional Tibetan Medicine (TTM)
- Fundamentals of Tibetan Buddhist philosophy and its relationship to TTM
- Concepts of Mind and Consciousness in the Tibetan culture.
- Dreams in Tibetan culture, in general
- Medical analysis of Dreams
- Attitudes and philosophies affecting Healing
- Dream Work and Dream Yoga
- External points for treatment of psychological disturbances; the 60 rLung problems
- Important Herbs form the TTM pharmacopea used specifically for mental disorders.
DREAM STUDIES in Traditional Tibetan Medicine - COURSE OUTLINE
The study of dreams in Tibetan culture is very ancient. Dreams can be analysed in different ways: for religious purposes, for divination, or for medical purposes.
Tibetan doctors have a well-developed understanding of the relationship between dreams and health; thus dreams are analysed from both a religious as well as a medical perspective. Both the Tantric spiritual tradition and Traditional Tibetan Medicine describe three basic components - Consciousness, the subtle rLung energies, and the chakras and channels – as being necessary for the manifestation of dreams.
Traditionally, Dream studies include practices to purify and strengthen the chakras and channels, practices for lucid dreaming, as well as dream analysis.
Dream Studies Level 1
This 5-day course presents a fascinating and intensive immersion in Tibetan Dream studies. Practical and theoretical components are well-balanced to give a comprehensive coverage of this vast subject. Topics include:
- Consciousness as defined by Tibetan culture: the different divisions of consciousness and their functions
- rLung energy – the subtle vitalizing energy: The divisions of rLung energies and their functions; The Five Elements, their energies and functions in the body
- Chakras and channels in the body – their functions and relationship to dreams
- The relationship between Consciousness, rLung energies, Chakras and channels
- The manner in which Dreams manifest and how we experience dreams through the five sense organs
- The relationship between Dreams and Traditional Tibetan Medicine; Classification of Dreams according to Tibetan Medical theory
- The relationship between Time and Dreams
- The theory and analysis of dreams in Healthy people: Experience of the Dream; The meaning of Symbols in our dreams
- The theory and analysis of dreams in sick people: The diagnosis of illness using dreams; dreams for indications of prognosis and cure
- An introduction to Dream Work: How dreams can be utilized for curing blockages of energy and mind
- Dreams and Spiritual practice. Understanding the difference between ordinary, symbolic and prophetic dreams
- An introduction to Dream Yoga – the most profound study and practice of Dreams in the Tibetan tradition
Dream Studies Level 2 – Psychology and Dream Work
This 7-day course expands upon the knowledge and techniques developed in Dream Studies Level 1, allowing students to deepen their practical skills. The focus will be two-fold: Psychology in Traditional Tibetan Medicine, and Dream Work.
Psychology in Traditional Tibetan Medicine incorporates the study of Mind and Emotions. Topics Include:
- Psychological and Emotional problems in TTM: Causes and Symptoms,
disturbances of rLung, the subtle vitalizing energy; provocations
- The comparison of dreams in healthy and sick people
- Means of understanding and treating the occurrence of nightmares
- Treatment of psychological and emotional disorders according to TTM:
- Treatment of points through External therapies – Acupressure, Moxibustion, HorMe
- Typical herbal remedies from the Traditional Tibetan Medicine pharmacopoeia
Dream Work focuses on the actual practice of Dreaming - utilising dreams to cure blockages of energy and mind. Students will be taught how to make use of a mantra in order to focus their energies whilst in the dream-state, to enable lucid dreaming and to facilitate prophetic dreams. Dream Work also addresses the origin of nightmares and how to treat their occurrence.
Dream Studies Level 3 – Dream Practice
This 5-day course expands upon the knowledge and techniques developed in Dream Studies Levels 1 and 2, allowing students to deepen their own Dream Practice. Historically, Dream Practice has been an important part of the Tibetan tantric spiritual tradition; therefore this course includes a spiritual aspect and students will be given an understanding of how Dream Practice is placed within this spiritual tradition.
Students will learn how to strengthen their own Dream Practice, facilitating Prophetic and Lucid dreaming, through utilizing the following techniques:
- Specific mantras
- Yogic breathing exercises
- Adhering to specific preparatory practices and diet
- Practising in silence
- Practising according to waxing and waning cycles of the Tibetan lunar calendar, utilizing important dates and specific astrological configurations according to the Tibetan lunar calendar in order to gather subtle energies and therefore to strengthen Dream Practice
Dream Studies Level 4 – Dream Yoga
Dream Studies Level 4 is a 7-day course which is focused on Dream Yoga – the most profound study and practice of Dreams within the Tibetan tradition. Dream Yoga is an intense form of Self-Mind training, where the individual learns - through mental yoga exercises - to engage in Lucid dreaming. Dream Yoga involves training of the Mind inside the Dream itself. This Mind training incorporates meditation and visualizations.